Mountlake Terrace Firefighters Rescue Man from Balcony

 

Firefighters set up a ladder to rescue a man from a third-floor balcony at a Mountlake Terrace apartment complex.

Fire investigators believe incense placed too close to combustibles sparked a two-alarm fire at a MountlakeTerrace apartment complex on April 16.

The fire was reported at 7:29 a.m. at the Taluswood Apartments in the 4100 block of 236th St. SW. “Dispatchers received a notification from the alarm company, then a minute later received a call from a resident reporting a fire in the J Building,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1, which provides fire and emergency services in Mountlake Terrace.

Firefighters used a ladder to rescue a man from a third-floor balcony as flames engulfed the neighboring apartment unit. The man was able to climb down the ladder on his own and was not injured. All other occupants of the J Building safely evacuated.

Firefighters also rescued a large dog from the burning building.

One resident was evaluated by firefighters for exposure to smoke, but did not require treatment. A firefighter sustained a minor injury, but was able to continue to work.

More than 35 firefighters from Fire District 1, Lynnwood and Shoreline were on the scene at the peak of the fire.

The fire caused heavy damage to four apartments on the third-floor and water damage to at least eight other units, Hynes said. Red Cross is assisting the residents displaced from the 12 apartments. Residents of all but two of the 12 apartments had renters insurance.

REPOST (Snohomich County Fire District #1 website)