Since, we began reporting on the after ill effects of the multiple storms that have ravaged a much drought looking canvas has turned it into overwhelming amounts of water everywhere. Even those in the wine industry are seeing their crops being drowned and taking a huge hit from Mother Nature.
We are gleaning information from Social Media that includes media, government and users like you and I. Here are some details happening in an area near you…..
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
Gusty winds expected today. Be alert near fallen trees/branches. Report downed lines to 911. (PG&E)
When we say “Turn Around, Don’t Drown” this is why! Doesn’t take much water (just 6 inches) to cause you to lose control of your car. (LA EMD)
If you can – stay home. Flooding, wires down, stranded vehicles all across LA. Pls do not turn yourself into a victim. (LAFDTalk)
Storm 3 not over potential scattered thunderstorms tonight through 1-23-17 may generate periods heavy rain flash flooding mud debris flows. (LA Office of Emergency)
Downtown Los Angeles has received 13.52″ of rain since Oct 1st 2016 which is 216% of the normal rainfall to date of 6.26″ (NWS Los Angeles)
All-time rainfall record at Long Beach today! Daily records at LAX & Camarillo too. (NWS Los Angeles)
Rainfall Totals for California (Photo Credit: NWS Los Angeles)
CURRENT CONDITIONS BY AREA
- Near Lake Tahoe. Avalanche conditions are extreme. Chains required.
- Flash flood and high wind warning issued. (Anaheim FD)
- Responding to multiple reports of power lines down. Please stay indoors if possible. (Five Cities FD)
- 101 north on ramp closed at San Anselmo.
- Baldwin Park I10 W / Indian Hill Blvd **Roadway Flooding*. (Caltrans District 7)
- Pinto Lake flooding across Green Valley Road. (Santa Cruz government)
- Cells (showers) beginning to initiate off the
#CenCal coast. Expect thunderstorms for the #BayArea this afternoon. (NWS Bay Area)
- A High Surf Advisory remains in effect until Tuesday morning. Please stay off of rocks and jetties and keep your eyes on the ocean. (NWS Bay Area)
- SR34/5th St closed. (Caltrans Dist 7)
#110Fwy is underwater! Both sides shut down.
- Hail is currently falling (Freelance Photographer)
- I-80 over Donner Summit. High winds & heavy snowfall, snowdrifts on the roadway. (Caltrans District 3)
- Evacuation Shelter open at Duarte City Center, 1600 Huntington Drive, Duarte, CA 91010. (Red Cross)
- E5 o/s large bldg in danger of flooding, evacuations in progress & requesting public works w/ sandbags. 12821 Knott St. (Fire Media)
- East of Gold Run to Nevada State border, chains are required.
- Hwy 50 holding traffic For Echo Summit from Chiappa to Meyers due to avalanche control. No ETO. (Caltrans District 3)
- I-80 is currently closed due to heavy snow and zero visibility. No ETO.
#castorm coming down hard at Camel Pt and Coast Hwy. (Laguna Beach PD)
- Here is flooding on 710/Willow in Long Beach. (Photo Credit: Caltrans District 7)
- Rain has turned showery & heaviest precipitation has ended. 3.87″ of rain fell in Long Beach, an all-time daily record-Widespread flooding. (Weather Media)
- Beginning to see flow in our local streams and creeks. Never drive through flowing water. Turn Around Don’t Drown! (NWS Los Angeles)
- Topanga Cnyn N of Chatsworth St flooded. NBound traffic entering SBound lanes. (LAFD Valley Bureau CERT)
- 710 freeway completely flooded at Pacific Coast Highway. (NWS Los Angeles)
- The entrance to the Point Dume Beach parking lot is closed due to flooding. (LA County Department of Beaches and Harbors)
- To report malfunctioning traffic signals call 311. Do not call 911. (LAFD Cert)
- Mulholland closed due to rock slide at Summit Circle. (Media)
- Laurel Canyon’s slide: fallen tree cleared but detours & partial closures from previous mudslide remain in effect. (Los Angeles County)
Fwy draining. Need to remove tree and sweep, then open. Good to check in AM though for night rain. (Photo ((above)) Credit: Caltrans District 7)
Los Angeles County
- LAFD swift water rescue team at Ballona creek looking for homeless encampments, trying to them to pack up. (Media)
- 3 Firehawk helicopters staffed with specialized swiftwater rescue teams onboard. They are staged around
@CountyofLA for response. (LAcoFD)
- Gutters are an overflowing. (Government agency)
- Water fall onto Piuma Rd in
#Malibu. Beware of rock and mud flows on the cyn roads. Very dangerous. (Malibu SAR)
- Avoid Sycamore Canyon at Coyote in Montecito. (Pic showed downed trees everyone) reported by (Media)
- Mt Baldy Road has been closed at Ice House Canyon due to impassable conditions. (Mt. Baldy FD)
- Silverado Canyon’s voluntary evac lifted at 9 pm Sunday. #@OrangeCountyEOC deactivated. (Orange County EOC)
- Skywarn is deactivated for today. Skywarn activation is requested for Monday. (Skywarn)
- Tree comes crashing down onto mobile home. Residents evacuated in time. No reported injuries.
Pacific Coast Highway
- Highway completely shutdown due to flooding. (Photo Credit: Caltrans)
- Niles Canyon closed due to rock and mudslide 1/4 mile east of Palomares.
- Police: submerged solo vehicle accident into Niles Canyon/ Alameda Creek.
Palos Verdes Peninsula
- Periods of heavy rain around the Palos Verdes Peninsula to west L.A. now. Look out for some flooded streets in the area. (Media)
Redding (10 mi North of)
- NB SHA I-5 Vehicle screening in effect at Fawndale, 10 miles north of Redding. All traffic will be checked for chains. (Caltrans District 2)
- Surf has cut through sand right up to bike path in Redondo Beach.
- SR-71 SB to SR-91 EB connector closed due to flooding, unknown duration. (Caltrans District 8)
- Heavy snow in Running Springs – 6 inches in 45 minutes! (Caltrans District 8)
- Water has taken over the playground along the Bob Jones Trail.
- PER ALL AGENCIES – TRAVEL NOT ADVISED ANYWHERE ON THE SAN BERNARDINO MOUNTAINTOP. (Public Safety Scanner source)
- Evacuation Shelter opened at Canyon High School 19300 Nadal Street, San Clarita, CA 91351. (Red Cross)
- San Gabriel & I-10 FWY underpass due to complete flooding of roadway. (City of Gabriel)
- Street closed at Loma Alta @ Cornell, Santa Barbara. Homes reported as okay in this area. (Media)
Santa Barbara County
- SR-173/SR-138, MM 24, all lanes blocked — road closed for swift water rescue due to flooding, unknown time to clear. (Caltrans District 8)
- SR-18 from Arrowbear to Snow Valley, MM 34 to 36, multiple vehicles stuck in roadway blocking all lanes, unk time to clear. (Caltrans District 8)
- Flash Flood Warning for Southeastern Santa Clara and Northwestern San Benito County until 1830 hours tonight.
Santa Clara County
- Glenwood Drive, a Hwy 17 bypass , collapsed, impassible.
Santa Monica Mountains
- Due to heavy rains, we are closing Solstice Canyon and Paramount Ranch.
- Avoid Walnut Ave/33rd St and California between Willow St and Spring St due to flooding. (Signal Hill PD)
- SR27/Topanga Cyn Blvd @ Old Topanga closed due to slide. (Caltrans District 7)
- Down tree blocking street in 2700 blk Bonnie Ln. (Stockton PD)
- Cascading waterfalls from Santa Monica Mtns. not seen in years. (Media)
- Potrero Crk @ Foxfield hasn’t seen water in abt 7 years! (Media)
- Text VCALERT to 313131 to receive emergency notifications in Ventura County. Visit www.vcalert.org for more information. (Ventura County OES)
- Firefighters from station 50 assisted 4 children with mom and dad who got stranded in a flooded intersection on Pleasant Vly Rd. (VCFD)
Watsonville (7 miles East of)
- Hwy 129 about 7 miles east of Watsonville near Aromas is CLOSED each way by rock slide, use San Juan Rd as detour.
- “Everything’s submerged, higher than I’ve seen it since I was a kid.” (Photojournalist)
#LArain, #CASTORM, #CA, #mudslide, #cawx, #I80, #Sierra
“Maybe this insane amount of rain SoCal is getting is just God crying over the current state of America.” — This is the best one so far and we love it!
“Noah and his Ark just went down my street.”
“Remind your kids not to play in flooded yards. floodwaters contains things like garbage, sewage and bacteria.” (Media) – Great reminder. – Ed.
“There are two kinds of drivers in LA when it’s raining… those driving 10 MPH and those doing 90 MPH. There is no in between.” – Slow down ppl. – Ed.
‘Santa Monica Boulevard? More like Santa Monica Canal.”
“California went from mad max to water world in one month.”
“It’s not raining. It’s alternative drought.”
(c) 2017 The #NWFireBlog – Updated 2201 PST