Update 1 – Newly Reported
A wildfire is burning off of Hog Flat Reservoir and Hwy 144, west of Susanville in Lasen County and nearby to the GOLD FIRE, another large fire incident that the CAL FIRE LMU are handling. Started 7/18/2020 at 1530 PDT. Cause is unknown, under investigation.
- 170 structures threatened; none have been damaged or destroyed
- Evacuations and road closures in effect
- High winds, hail and other stormy weather is over the fire line (2139 PDT)
- Fire is approximately now 5 miles from the town of Susanville
- 9,000 acres. 7% containment due to better mapping
- 12,188 acres. (7/20/2020)
Resources – Personnel
- Strike Teams – 3646 Charlie, 9250 Charlie, 3630 Charlie, 9231 Charlie, 2025 Charlie (Crockett Carquinez FD E278), 2870 Charlie (Alameda County FD, Fremont FD, Oakland FD, CAL OES)
- Crews – CRW LNU Crew 14, CRW AEU Crew 27, LNF Heart Lake, T2 C-27, C-28, C-30, C-33, C-34.
- Water Tenders – PVT E110, E250, E252, E255, E57, E259, E112
- Engines – LMF E36, 62, 88, 381
- Dozers – PVT E25, E31, E105, HUU 1240, PVT E93, E106.
- IHC – CRW SRF-NRA IHC Smith River, Beckworth IHC, Diamond Mountain IHC
- Totals: 147 engines, 31 water tenders, 21 hand crews, 33 dozers, 1,087 total personnel.
Photo Credit | Crockett Carquinez FD
- Lassen National Forest
- CAL FIRE
- Lassen County Sheriff Office
- Cal TRANS
- CAL Smoke Blog
- Crockett Carquinez FD
- Alameda County FD
- CAL OES
- STL Trainee
- Fremont FD
- Oakland FD
- NWS Reno
- Butte County AQMD
- CA State Association of Counties
Photo Credit | Almeda County FD
- Burning in heavy timber and slash with brush along with clear cut plots that have moderate to heavy slash.
- Active fire with spotting.
- Lake Forest Estates
- Riverbench Road
- Britt Lane
- Thumper Hill Road
- Ridge Top Road
- North and South of Hwy 36 from A1 to Willard Creek Road
- From A1 to Willard Creek Road
- Lassen Community College. 530.250.9088.
At VCA Animal Hospitals, we care. When families are displaced, our caregivers ensure pets have a safe, loving and healthy home — until they can go home again. We are now offering FREE BOARDING in response to the [fire] in Northern California
- I – Mix of brush/timber fire fuels with slash. Spotting has been an issue in Divisions Charlie and Echo.
- V – Spotting has been issue in Division John
- IX – Has largest variation of topography. Spotting has been issues for Division Foxtrot and Qubec.
Fire Managers are taking steps to include:
- COVID-19 precautions
- Weakend trees impacted by fire activity
- Everyone gets a briefing
- Applying RED FLAG WARNING alerts and notifications
- Driving defensively, be prepared for anything unexpected
Flood Advisory in effect until 9:00 PM PDT for central Lassen County including the Hog Fire burn area, as well as parts of CA 36 and CA 44. Seek shelter from this storm, and remember to never drive across flooded roads! – NWS Reno (1800PDT)
- RED FLAG WARNING issued for 1300-2100 PT.
- Weather Forecasted: Scattered showers and thunderstorms after 1300. Hybrid mix of wet/dry storms, some could be strong.
- Upslope 3-7 mp becoming west 4-8 mph after 1300 with gusty and erratic winds with outflows of 40-50 mph possible in the afternoon.
- Max temps 86-91*F with minimum RH of 15-185.
- Firenado is spotted
- Fire is making its own weather
Photo Credits | PG&E / alertwildfire
Photo Credit | CAL FIRE Lassen-Modoc Unit
@nwfireblog – Twitter/Facebook – NW Fire Blog – Instagram
#CAwildfires #FireSeason2020 #HogFire
(c) 2020 NW Fire Blog – Updated 7/21/2020 2300 PDT