Updated 2245 Hours PDT
The #SherpaFire started on June 15th around 1515 hours PDT in the vicinity of Sherpa Ranch off of Refugio Road or about 11 miles N of Goleta, California on the Los Padres NF.
It is also said to be on the Camino Cielo Ridge.
Fire crews are having to fight fire on steep and in very rugged terrain.
The cause is unknown and under investigation. It has burned 1700 acres and is growing by the minute.
The fire is very active and and wind-driven with winds up to 20-30mph causing a quick forward spread. It is additionally cause short-range spotting.
Fire fuels include chaparral, tall grass and brush.
The Forest Service is in Unified Command with Santa Barbara County in Goleta, California. The IC: Mills.
There are currently 1230 personnel assigned to this wildfire.
Resources includes 8 tankers, 3 medium helicopters, 3 heavy helitankers, 1 air attack, 1 lead plane and 1 DC10.
1230 Firefighters, overhead team and support personnel are attached to this wildfire incident.
Evacuations for the following communities are in progress:
- Refugio Canyon
- Las Flores
- El Capitan State Park
- Regio Campgrounds
- Wake Center (business park)
- Earl Warren Showgrounds (Large animals)
- Santa Ynez Union H.S. @ 2976 E Hwy 246, Santa Ynez.
- Red Cross App – #SafeAndWell – Let your Loved Ones know you are safe and okay for the those searching for Loved ones. This is the perfect app. Go to this link –> https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php
- Aware and Prepare App – Register on Santa Barabara County’s webiste here –> http://awareandprepare.org/
- Traffic Alerts – CHP – Website –> https://www.chp.ca.gov/traffic
(c) 2016 The #NWFireBlog