The following projects have either taken place or are scheduled in the future, weather dependent.
The purpose of prescribed fires is to restore the forests that are in a fire-adapted ecosystems which need frequent low-intensity fire to remove accumulated smaller fuels and recycle nutrients back into their soils to promote health vegetation and wildlife habitat.
No machine can take its place.
When there is a healthy forest, firefighters and communities in fire prone areas can be reassured it is much safer.
- Mountaire Project: Scheduled for April 15, 2015. 550 acres. Along S side of Lake Mary Rd to 1-2 miles E of Pulliam Airport. Smoke visible in Flagstaff.
- Rocky Project: Scheduled for April 16 or 17, 2015. 385 acres. Near Luke Mtn and 7 miles S of Munds Park, East side of I-17.
- Mormon Lake Project: Scheduled for April 21, 2015. 1,000 acres. W of Village of Mormon Lake and N of Forest Rd 219.
- Upper Beaver Creek Burn #1: Scheduled for April 21 or April 22, 2015, weather permitted. 1,000 acres. 1 mi SW of Stoneman Lk, along NW end of Forest Rd 213.
- Upper Beaver Creek Burn #2: Scheduled for April 21 – April 24, 2015. 1,064 acres. Happy Jack area. Located 38 miles S of Flagstaff.
[c] 2015 THE NW FIRE BLOG