This is a quick early AM Update on Wednesday happening all around California from overflowing spillways to severely damaged roadways to water rescues.
Hwy 267 – Brockway Summit
- Closed: Highway 267 between
@Northstar_CA & #KingsBeach is closed due to slides. (Placer Co Sheriff)
I-80 Near Summit
- Closed: I-80 closed due to blizzard conditions over summit. Caltrans crews trying to clear snow. E/B drivers stuck in Colfax. (Media)
- Closed: Vehicle traffic released on EB I-80 & Hwy 20. Trucks being turned at Applegate. Chain controls remain in effect. Take it slow! (CAL Trans District #3 @ 2230 PST)
- Flash Flood Warning issued for Niles Canyon area near Alameda Creek. (Fremont PD)
- Morrison Canyon will remain closed due to mud and land slides until early March. Please do not drive up the road. (City of Fremont)
- Closed. Highway 101 being closed in both directions in
#sanjose from 880 to 680/280 due to flooding. Reopening ETA unknown. (Media @ 1150 PST on 2/21/2017)
Bridal Veil Falls (near)
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Roadway REOPEN after repairs completed. (Media)
- Closed. Hwy 193 is closed in the ChiliBar area from Rock Creek Rd to Hwy 193/49 Junction due to multiple unsafe mudslides. Detour available ,No ETA. (CAL Trans District #3 @ 2230 2/21/2017)
- Mandatory Evacuations: The area in San Jose subject to Mandatory Evacuation due to flooding along Coyote Creek has expanded. The area is along Coyote Creek, in the Coyote Creek 100 year flood zone plus approximately 250 feet, running from north of 280 to south of 101. (SanJose.gov)
- Coyote Creek: A San Jose house submerged in water! Several more homes on S. 17 St in trouble with lower level flooding bc of overflowing coyote creek. (Media @ 1140 PST 2/21/2017)
Preparedness Resources for Evacuees
- If you/family Evacuated: http://abc7news.com/weather/resources-san-jose-flood-evacuation-centers-and-help-info/1766210/.
Evacuation Shelters – Red Cross Shelters
- Mayfair Community Center located at 2039 Kammerer Ave
- Shirakawa Community Center at 2072 Lucretia Ave
- James Lick High School – 57 N. White Rd 95127
- Evergreen Valley High School, 3300 Quimby Rd in response to the Coyote Creek flooding.
The San José Housing Department conducted extensive outreach to alert people living outdoors along Coyote Creek about dangers associated with camping by the creek. The City has opened its four winter overnight warming centers as it regularly does during periods of cold and wet weather.
- Tully Community Library – 880 Tully Road
- Bascom Community Center – 1000 S. Bascom Avenue
- Biblioteca Lationamericana – 921 S. 1st Street (ADA Accessible)
- Washington United Youth Center – 921B S. 1st Street (Designated for Families)
To report downed trees and flooding, call (408) 794-1900 (24/7 number). If a tree is in the roadway, please call 911 to make the report immediately. To reach PG&E to report lines down and obtain updates on power outages in your area, please call 800-743-5000.?
- Quinn Ave – Senter Rd to Will Wool Dr
- Rock Springs Dr – Nordale Ave to southend of Rock Springs Dr
- Wool Will Dr – Wool Creek Dr to Quinn Av
- Will Creek Dr – Senter Rd to Eastend
- Welch Ave – Nordale Ave to Needles Dr
- Needles Dr – Senter Rd to Rock Springs Dr
- Nordale Ave – Senter Rd to Rock Springs Dr
- Bevin Brook Dr – Senter Rd to eastend of Bevin Brook Dr
- Phelan Ave – East of Senter Rd to Bevin Brook Dr
- Berryessa Rd – Sierra Rd to Commercial St.
- Keyes St – Senter Rd to Roberts Ave
- Tully Rd – Lucretia Ave to Senter Rd
- Williams St at 16th St
- Senter Rd – Tully Rd to Story Rd
- Rock Springs Rd – Phelan Ave to Needles Dr
- Bailey Ave – IBM Eastbound to Santa Teresa Blvd
- Santa Teresa Blvd Southbound – Bayliss Dr to Bailey
- Coyote Ranch Rd – Monterey Rd to Coyote Creek
- Open one lane: Foxworthy Avenue – from Rubino Dr to Hillsdale Ave
- Open one lane: Berryess Rd Westbound – Sierra to Commercial
- San Jose Happy Hollow Park , 1300 Senter Road (this is ½ mile north of the Central Service Yard, which is no longer accessible because of road closures) .
- Mabury Service Yard, 1404 Mabury Road
- Santa Clara Valley Water District Winfield Warehouse, Winfield Boulevard between Blossom Hill Road and Coleman Avenue
- Water Rescues: Today,
@CAL_FIRE assisted @SJFD with a water rescue near Lone Bluff Way in San Jose (Santa Clara County). (CAL Fire @ 1843 PST on 2/21/2017)
(More Preparedness Tips –> http://sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?NID=4789)
- 10th St. Rescue Group Supervisor requesting 2-3 more swift water teams. More victims trapped in houses. (2059 2/21/2017)
- 28th/E Santa Clara Street: Water rising in new areas. These people are walking in to check their businesses near area. (Media 0140 PST) #SanJoseFloods
- Business neighbors helping neighbors sandbag as water reaches front door. (Media 0140 PST) #SanJoseFloods
- Oroville Dam Workers: Oroville Dam workers fired after posting pictures on social media. (http://fox5sandiego.com/2017/02/21/oroville-dam-workers-fired-after-posting-pictures-on-social-media/)
- Near death experience: Tree falls on Caltrans vehicle north of Nevada City; Caltrans worker escapes alive and starts directing traffic! (Media @ 1631 2/21/2017)
- Road Closures: Still no estimate for when Highway 37 will reopen. (Media @ 1932 PST on 2/212017) Note: Pictures showing it appears more like a lake than a roadway.
- Damaged Roadways: Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge on Highway 1 in Big Sur beyond repair. (Media @ 1933 PST on 2/21/2017)
- San Jose: Flooding hits San Jose area as firefighters and rescue teams help residents affected by the rising waters. (Media @ 1340 PST on 2/21/2017)
- San Jose Flooding: Flooding forces hundreds from homes. (Media 0200 PST)
- Twitter User: California is drowning. 101 is closed, San Jose, Morgan hill, and gilroy are basically entirely flooded. santa cruz is falling apart. rip CA.
- Twitter User: Californians are facing severe storms, with over 200 San Jose residents taken to dry land amidst flooding. (1644 PST on 2/21/2017)
(c) 2017 The #NWFireBlog – Revised 10/22/2017 1038 Hours PDT