SISKIYOU COUNTY, CALIFORNIA – UPDATE 1 – JULY 2, 2021
A wildfire named the LAVA FIRE is located about 3.5 miles northeast of the community of Weed and 4.5 miles southeast of Lake Shastina, California.
FIRE COMMUNITY MEETING | SATURDAY, JULY 3, 2021 @ 1500 PT (3PM) | (1) Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office | Facebook
There are about 1,626 total personnel assigned along with 30 crews, 112 engines and 15 helicopters. Fire command is under CAL FIRE Darryl Laws and IMT Steve Watkins.
About 23,849 acres of timber, grass and brush have been burned. Crews have successfully reached a 27% containment status but are striving to achieve the one-hundred percent fire suppression objectives.
The current fire management team is CAL FIRE’s Steve Watkins, IMT and Darryl Laws.
- Bunny Flat Campground (USFS)
- Sand Flat Campground (USFS)
- Red Fir Flat Campground (USFS)
- McBride Springs Campground (USFS)
- Hwy 97 between the City of Weed and the City of Dorris
- Everitt Memorial Hwy at Gateway Trail Trailhead
Downgraded Evacuation Orders
- Lake Shastina
Evacuation Orders Remain in Effect
- North along Hwy 97 to County Road A-12
- Community of Juniper Valley off of Big Springs Road from Hwy 97 to McDonald Lane
- Big Springs Road on both east and west sides
- Mount Shasta Vista Subdivision-Country Road A-12 north and south
- Harry Cash Road
- 4 Corners to Hart Road
Credit: Caltrans District 2
Fire crews are working to keep the fire from east of the Union Pacific RR tracks; south of Deer Mtn Road; north of Diller Canyon and west of the north Gate Trailhead. Additionally, structure protect of critical infrastructure and cultural resources using direct tactics by aircraft are under way.
Tankers 910 and 912 have been spread thin by responding to multiple Californian wildfires SALT, WILLOW, INYO CREEK and DOTTA fires.
Climate consist of steep, rocky terrain, limited road access and limited water sources near the fire line.
- USFS – Shasta-Trinity National Forest
- CAL FIRE
- Siskiyou County Sheriffs Office
- Siskiyou County OEM
- USDA Fire
The Cost-to-Date has topped out at $8.8 Million Dollars.
(c) 2021 NW Fire Blog