Updated 1950 PM EDT
- Weather – Hurricane Matthew is downgraded from Cat 1 to Tropical Storm
- More Storms – While Matt is downgraded, Nicole does a hairpin and is due to hit Bermuda later in the week. – The NWS
- Haiti – 900-1500 killed directly from storm
- Cholera Breakout – 15 killed from disease breakout
- U.S. – 4 killed.
- VA Beach – Major flooding.
- Wrightsville Beach – suffers significant dune and beach erosion
- Oak Island (NC) – Waves break off large section of the Island pier
- Charleston (SC) – Flooded streets told it will get worse when high tide comes
- Red Cross – 2700+ workers support relief efforts in 5 different States
- NY Task Force 1 – helping with flood rescues in Fayetteville (NC)
- Jacksonville (SC) Police Department
- SCE&G (SC) – restored power to 100,000 homes after the Hurricane left
- NC National Guard – evacuations and rescues
- Daytona International Speedway – Staging site for utility trucks
- US Coast Guard – Assisting with recovery supplies
- Miami Beach Fire –
- Verizon Wireless – Unlimited domestic talk, text and data relief being offered to qualified customers in Florida,Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina between October 7-1 https://www.verizonwireless.com/featured/relief/
Assessing the Damage – 2 Florida Senators tour the damage left by behind by Hurricane Matthew from inside a USCG aircraft. Credit/USCG
Assisting with evacuations and rescues – NC National Guard. Photo Credit: NCNG
University of North Florida (also photo credit) – Statute holds in place while surrounding landscaping unfortunate.
- Facebook’s Hurricane Matthew Safety check is working.
Thank you for reading and following our Posts! We will be on Hurricane storm watch and providing updates throughout the day. Be safe friends.
(c) 2016 The #NWFireBlog