SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA
A fire broke out off the Otay Lakes Road this afternoon on Monday, January 1, 2018 from an unknown cause.
Fire crews from the CAL FIRE – San Diego were quickly on-scene and reported there were actually two small fires, with the largest already reached a full acre. The fire would be put out quickly with a total of two acres destroyed.
Resources were said to remain on-scene and committed into the evening hours.
This area has been hit by fire many times over in the last five years. Here is a timeline of those fire incidents. (Info is gleaned from mostly Twitter from actual fire pressers, media and eyewitnesses).
5/17/2017: 14600 block x Otay Lakes Road.
- Mobile home fire
- With exposures
- Hashtag #OtayIC
5/20- 5/21/2017: Near Otay Lakes Road x Hwy 94, South of Jamul
- RV campground evacuated
- Dubbed #GateFire
- Reaches 1500 acres
- Prompts closures of roadways including Otay Lakes Road, Hwy 94
- Cause under criminal investigation after video surfaces
- Mandatory evacuations in effect
- EB/WB SR 94 closes @ Otay Lakes Rd
- Located on Otay Mountain where fire originated
6/19/2016: Otay Lakes Road x EB Hwy 94
- Closed at 188 due to #BorderFire
7/8/2016: Near Otay Lakes Road x Hwy 94
- 10 acres totally burned
- CAL FIRE, San Diego Co FD response
4/30/2016: Otay Lakes Road
- Limited info.
11/30/2015: Otay Lakes Road Fire
6/26 – 7/5/2015: Near Otay Lakes Road x Woods Drive, San Diego County.
- Brush Fire
- CAL FIRE, Chula Vista FD response
- 80 acres destroyed
- Structure threatened
- Fire reported 6/26/2017 around 1600 hours PST
11/23/2014: Otay Lakes Road, West of Hwy 94.
- MVA caused fire
- Otay Lake Rd, closed at Hwy 94
- 1/2 acre wildfire sparked
11/6/2014: Near Upper Otay Lakes Reservoir
- Small brush fire ignited
- CAL FIRE Chula Vista FD response
- Quickly put out
- 1/4 acre burned
7/28/2013: Off of Otay Lakes Rd
- Brush fire
- CAL FIRE – San Diego responds
- 5 acres burned with no structure damage
- SR 94 and SR 188 closed
And, the fires in the same area continue on….
(c) 2018 NW Fire Blog – Updated 2200 Hours PST – 1/1/2018