On Saturday April 25th, a magnitude 7.9 earthquake struck the Lamjung District of Nepal, around 1211 NPT [Seattle is 12 hrs 45 mins behind].
21 aftershocks have also struck the region including a 5.2 in the mountains causing a landslide on Mt. Everest.
It was the biggest earthquake to strike the country in 80 years. The earthquake was felt across the region from India to China and left immense destruction, flattening sections of Kathmandu and triggering avalanches in mount Everest.
Mt. Everest Landslide.
17 people have been reportedly killed when the face of the mountain slide down on to Camps 1 and 2 below after a 5.2M earthquake [aftershock] triggered a landslide.
Sources: Humanity Road.org, Wikipedia.
SOCIAL MEDIA / VIDEO OF DISASTER
- Quake video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9GP26hkNY4&index=2&list=PL1kTVqnA5yuZ0r9B_ZkmdQS9TeKaQdSlo [NDTV
- News Report. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFWTWo3UoW0&index=14&list=PL1kTVqnA5yuZ0r9B_ZkmdQS9TeKaQdSlo [CNN]
- Actual Footage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAgW7eix9fw&index=13&list=PL1kTVqnA5yuZ0r9B_ZkmdQS9TeKaQdSlo [by YouTuber Ferdi Mokul]
- CCTV Footage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1RCBm7fCd8 [by Bangla Clips]
- News Clip: [Warning: Graphic Footage] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNy55-Ui6UM B [by news group документальный фильм 2015]
- The country’s Police Department put the death toll at 1,382, with almost 4,482 injured.
- Another 20 were killed in India, six in Tibet and two in Bangladesh. Two Chinese citizens died at the Nepal-China border. Given the scale of the destruction, the death toll is almost certain to rise, said Home Ministry official Laxmi Dhakal.
- Death Toll rises to 2500. http://news.yahoo.com/death-toll-nepal-earthquake-passes-1-000-police-160548831.html;_ylt=AwrTHQ9TYT1VORUAMcxXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzMTM1OTQzBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDU01FODM3XzEEc2VjA3Nj
Sources: Nepal PD, AP News, CNN, Yahoo News.
Initial government reports confirm that 30 out of 75 districts in the country have been affected in the Western and Central Regions, including Kathmandu Valley districts. This includes mountain and hilly areas, in areas where rural populations are dispersed, as well as some very densely populated districts and Nepal’s two largest cities – greater Kathmandu and Pokhara. The worst affected districts include Sindulpalchowk, Kavre, Nuwakot, Rasuwa, Dolakha in the CR and Kaski, Gorkha, Lamjung in the western region.
Sources: Humanity Road.org
- Medical/Emergency Supplies: for hospitals and clinics.
- Medical Teams: Supplies, tenting for hospitals, body bags.
- Temporary morgues.
- Search & Rescue Resources: equipment and teams.
- Heavy Equipment: for rubble removal.
- Air Support: Helicopters for transport and access to blocked areas.
Sources: Humanity Road.org
- Kathmandu (coordinates: 27.684744,85.285492) Ashram staff report that 100 children in need of water, food and shelter after severe damage to orphanage www.auronepal.net. via email sent to Humanityroad requesting help.
- Sankhu (coordinates: 27.513321,85.335869). Main town of Pukhulachhi Village Development Committee (VDC) of Kathmandu District in the northwestern Kathmandu Valley of Nepal. Unconfirmed reports that 90% of buildings have been destroyed, 400 people have died, there is no ambulance, and no rescue teams have arrived.
- Gorkha (coordinates: 27.995649,84.628273). Western (Pashchimanchal) region, in zone Gandaki. Reports of 80% of parts of Gorkha destroyed and search & rescue and medical help urgently needed. According to the Gorkha Police District Office, 94 died so far in Gorkha. Rescue is going on but more manpower is needed
- Thaiti, in Khatmandu. Unconfirmed report that about 100 people need food. Call 9818272055, 9841782909
- Lalitpur (coordinates: 27.666300,85.309799). Region Central (Madhyamanchal), Zone Bagmati. No power and no water supply.
- Pashupati Ghat – Radio reports Pashupati ghat is filled with bodies. They haven’t been able to cut wood to cremate bodies because of a lack of electricity.
- Langtang Village (coordinates: 28.266701,85.616699). Langtang is a region in Nepal to the north of Kathmandu and bordering Tibet. Avalanche overwhelms Langtang village, over 100 feared dead | http://goo.gl/VLfM3c.
- Sindhupalchowk (coordinates:27.951203,85.684578) Sindhupalchowk is a part of the Bagmati zone district north of Kathmandu. Impacts include collapsed buildings and walls especially historic buildings in centres, but less overall damage and collapse of buildings than expected. The majority of people remain outside houses for the second consecutive night.
- Kavre (coordinates:27.525942, 85.561210) District east of Kathmandu. Reported death toll at 60. Earthquake destroyed hospital, road building in Kavre district of Nepal. Dhulikhel hospital, Scheer memorial hospital in Banepa managing emergency situation. Threat of landslides.
- Nuwakot (coordinates: 28.137853, 83.872482) Bagmati zone district north of Kathmandu.State TV reports 126 deaths. Most houses destroyed, lack of tents or shelter as it continues to rain.
- Rasuwa (coordinates: 27.083333, 86.433333) Smallest district in the Bagmati zone, about 120km north of Kathmandu. Most buildings destroyed. Reported 17 army personnel and 60 people trapped under rubble in Trisuli hydropower tunnel, Rasuwa.
- Dolakha (coordinates: 27.778429, 86.175176) Part of the Janakpur zone north of Katmandu. Many houses destroyed. Poor mostly affected.
- Lamjung (coordinates: 28.282869,84.440819) Village northwest of Kathmandu.Gorkha, Dhading, Sindhupalanchowk, lamjung and other need immediate rescue operations.Please Share.Entire Village has been damaged.These places has been affected very badly need immediate relief like food water and tent.
- Barpak (coordinates:28.210368,84.742003) Barpak is a village situated in the northern part of the Gorkha district. It is located about 1900 m above sea level. Report of all but 4 of the 1200 houses destroyed. Village has been reached by helicopter and 120 wounded evacuated.
- Dhading (coordinates:27.441990,85.079597) Village in Narayani district. Gorkha, Dhading, Sindhupalanchowk, lamjung and other need immediate rescue operations.Please Share.Entire Village has been damaged.These places has been affected very badly need immediate relief like food water and tent.
Sources: Humanity Road.org
- Medical Staff: Doctors and nurses are needed for a medical team headed to Gorkha. They should contact @ajayuprety (9813550495) asap.
- Blood donations: shortage of certain blood types. Please call Dr. Manita at 98510-84500 at Nepal Red Cross Blood Bank.
- Call Out to All Doctors: InCrisisRelief is recruiting doctors to go to Nepal. They will arrange transport. Contact @InCrisisRelief.
Sources: Humanity Road.org
- Kathmandu airport: Shut down on Saturday resulting in the cancellation of Indian flights bound for the capital city. For the purpose of the public travel please check with your airline before travel.
Sources: Indian Times.
DISASTER PARTNERS / 1ST RESPONDERS
- Nepal Red Cross: Volunteers and staff of Nepal Red Cross Society are working on the ground assisting in search and rescue efforts and administering first aid to the injured. The Red Cross in Nepal has extensive experience in responding to natural disasters and plays a lead role in the government’s contingency plans for such disasters. The Red Cross blood bank in Kathmandu is also providing blood supplies to the main medical facilities in the capital. https://www.ifrc.org/en/news-and-media/news-stories/
Sources: Nepal Red Cross.
PEOPLE FINDER RESOURCES
- Google Person Finder: https://google.org/personfinder/2015-nepal-earthquake/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/safetycheck/nepalearthquake/
Sources: Google, Facebook.
BECOME A HERO. HELP DONATE TO DISASTER RELIEF.
- WorldVision USA: http://mycause.worldvision.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.event&eventID=830&referrer=10000078
- Nepal Earthquake Relief & Support: http://shuddhi.org/index.html. Shuddhi is a non-governmental group in India that is a registered organizaton working together with partners and local communities in India to improve environment and human-wellbeing.
ABOUT KATHMANDU, THE EPICENTER
- Capital: of Nepal and largest metro City in Country.
- Population: 3Million
- Location: Surrounded by four major mountains: Shivapuri, Phulchowki, nagarjun and Chandragiri.
- Geography: sits in the bowl-shaped valley in central Nepal.
- Elevation: stands at 1400m or 4600 ft.
- Tourism: is the gateway to Tourism. Voted as Top #3 on TripAdvisor’s Top #10 Best Travel Destinations.
Sources: Wikipedia, WikiTravel.
ABOUT NEPAL, THE COUNTRY
- Population: Almost 31million
- Location: Located in Southern Asia between China and India.
- Ethnicity/race: 125 caste/ethnic groups were reported in the 2011 national census
- Capital: Kathmandu [population 1.015million]
- Peaks: Contains 8 out of 10’s world’s highest peaks.
- Languages: 123 languages reported as mother tongue in 2011 national census; many in government and business also speak English
- Religion: Hindu 81.3%, Buddhist 9%, Muslim 4.4%, Kirant 3.1%, Christian 1.4%, other 0.5%, unspecified 0.2% (2011)
- Literacy rate: 57.4% (2011)
- Telephones: main lines in use: 834,000 (2013); mobile cellular: 18.1382 million (2013).
- Broadcast media: state operates 2 TV stations as well as national and regional radio stations; roughly 30 independent TV channels are registered with only about half in regular operation; nearly 400 FM radio stations are licensed with roughly 300 operational (2007).
- Internet hosts: 41,256 (2012).
- Internet users: 577,800 (2009).
- Railways: total: 59 km (2008).
- Roadways: total: 10,844 km; paved: 4,952 km; unpaved: 5,892 km (2010).
- Airports: 47 (2013).
Sources: Wikipedia, Fact Monster.
We will provide more photos, videos and updates as we receive them from our sources.
[c] 2015 The NW Fire Blog
Social Media Sites:
- Twitter @nwfireblog
- Facebook “The NW Fire Blog”
- Email email@example.com