Tuesday’s weather has been a very soggy day bringing lots of rain with some reporting up to 2″ in some places, causing flooding and mudslides in Western Washington State. Already saturated by rains in the last few days, more began dumping today and not letting up until later this afternoon.
By then, areas like Kent reported large flooded areas and some drivers ignoring common sense and trying to “drive” [we call it boating] across large bodies of water that seemed more like a big swimming hole.
- Index Galena Rd | @ MP 3 to end of Roadway | Closed: 11/9/15 – Long-term closure | Washout | Source: Snohomish County Public Works.
- Monte Cristo Rd | Mtn Loop Hwy to end of roadway | Closed: 4/24/15 1200 PST, Long-term closure | Source: Snohomish County Public Works.
- Mtn Loop Hwy | Monte Cristo Rd – White Chuck River Rd | Closed: 11/18/15 1745 PST | Source: Snohomish County Public Works.
- Ben Howard | 311 Ave SE – Cedar Ponds Rd | Water over Roadway | Closed: 12/18/15 2030 PST | Source: Snohomish County Public Works.
- Tualco Loop Rd | Tualco Rd | Water over Roadway | Closed: 12/8/15 2100 PST | Source: Snohomish County Public Works.
- Hwy 27 | 2 Mi N of Palouse | Landslide blocking roadway | Source: KREM 2 News 12/8/15 2122PST
- 35 Avenue SE | 141 St SE – 139 St SE | Water over Roadway | Closed: 12/8/15 1230 PST | Source: Snohomish County Public Works.
- 311 Ave SE | SR 2 – Mann Rd | Water over Roadway | Closed: 12/8/15 1930PST | Source: Snohomish County Public Works.
- Mann Rd | 311 Ave SE to end of Road | Water over Roadway | Closed: 12/8/15 1530 PST | Source: Snohomish County Public Works.
FLOOD WARNINGS [Source: NWS Seattle]
Skokomish River Near Potlatch
- Warning til Thursday, 12/10/15
- Flood stage is 16.5′
- Currently at 17.6′ as of Tuesday, 12/8/15
- Expected to rise & crest at 17.8′
- Major flooding occurring
- Expected to drop below flood stage at 0400 Wed, 12/9/15
- Expected to drop to 17.5′ on Thursday AM
- To cause additional major flooding, deep & quick floodwaters flooding some homes, roadways and much of the farm land in Skokomish Valley.
FLOOD WATCHES [Source: NWS Seattle]
- Lower Columbia and I – 5 Corridor in Cowlitz County; South Washington Cascade Foothills; Willapa Hills | Expires: 12/9/15 0400PST.
- Central Columbia River Gorge; Western Columbia River Gorge | Expires: 12/9/15 1600PST.
- Greater Vancouver Area | Expires: 12/9/15 1900PST.
- South Washington Cascades | Expires: 12/10/15 0852PST.
- South Washington Coast | Expires: 12/11/15 1200PST.
- Yakima | Expires: 12/10/15 0852PST.
- Cowlitz | Expires: 12/9/15 1903PST.
- Whatcom | Expires: 12/9/15 1624PST.
- Snohomish | Expires: 12/10/15 0723PST.
- Mason | Expires: 12/10/15 2040PST.
- Grays Harbor | Expiring Until Further Notice.
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTS [Source: NWS Seattle]
Bellevue & Vicinity, Bremerton & Vicinity, E Puget Sound lowlands, Seattle & Vicinity, W Slopes North Cascade and Passes, W Slopes N Central Cascades and Passes, West Slopes S Central Cascades and Passes.
- Additional heavy rainfall: expected tonight will lead to an increased threat of landslides in Western Washington.
- Rainfall expected: 4-7″ on the Coast.
- Rainfull expected: 5″ elsewhere in lowlands.
- Rainfall total expected: 1-3″ rain expected in lowlands in the next 18-hour period ending 12/9/15 1000 PST.
- 12/7/15: Landslides occurred in Woodinville and Edmonds.
- Future Expectations: More land/mudslides to occur.
- Warning Expires: 12/9/15 1400 PST
(c) 2015 The #NWFireBlog