Published July 23, 2022, Saturday, 1630 hours PT | Update 2
INCIDENT SUMMARY: The OAK FIRE is burning off of Hwy 140 and Carstens Road near Midpines and five miles northeast of Mariposa (Mariposa County), in the State of California, which ignited from an unknown source on Friday, July 22, 2022, around 1400 hours PT.
It is also burning outside of Yosemite National Park, which has caused the closure of highways 120 and 41 leading into the park.
Fire Fact | 95% of wildfires in California are sparked by humans. (CAL FIRE PIO)
CURRENT STATUS: The fire has consumed 9,100 acres of brush and medium logging slash and has a zero percent containment status. Fire behavior has been observed as extreme with running, long-range spotting, and single tree torching.
FIRE AVIATION RESOURCES: Tanker 162 (from Fresno),
FIRE RESPONSE RESOURCES:
- CAL FIRE: 11 hand crews, 4 helos, 45 engines, 4 dozers, 4 water tenders, 403 total personnel.
- CAL FIRE PIO
- American Red Cross California
- Yosemite National Park (NPS): Alert! Hwys 120 and 41 are closed due to the wildfire, these roadways lead into the park. The NPS states no stopping along Wawona Road south of Yosemite West.
- Mariposa Search and Rescue Teams: Volunteer members with the County’s SAR team helped residents evacuate from their homes yesterday.
- 2,000 residential structures
- Red Cross Shelter: Mariposa County Elementary School, 5044 Jones Street, Mariposa, CA. (People)
- Mariposa County SPCA, 5599 Hwy 49 North, Mariposa, CA. (small animals FULL)
- Mariposa Elementary School, 5044 Jones Street, Mariposa, CA (small animals)
- Mariposa County Fairgrounds, 5007 Fairgrounds Road, Mariposa, CA. (large animals)
- Evacuation Map https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=9cdac8da837f4ef3b9abd8d0a67ec7d4&extent=-13354645.8299%2C4513359.5681%2C-13342415.9053%2C4519364.6521%2C102100&fbclid=IwAR2neeAzHQSJ6k9LYFULCrUhBNpzGOP2eetdh4_Vp3jBVP32XCdtBFhsn7w (Mariposa County Public Information Map)
- 10 structures lost
- 5 damaged
- Fire suppression/containment efforts CTD: $500,000.
- Hwy 140 from Allred Road to Ponderosa Way
- Carstens Road
- Triangle Road from Hwy 140 to Hwy 49 and all side roads
- Buckingham Mtn Road
- Plumbar Creek Road
- Jerseydale Road
- Silva Road from Cole Road and Triangle Road
- Wass Road
- Tip Top Road
- Darrah at Cole Road
- Westfall from Triangle to Oliver Creek
- McNally Road
- Woodland Drive
- Brooks Road
- Bootjack Lane
- Cole Road
INCIDENT THROUGH THE EYES OF SOCIAL MEDIA (Includes incident timeline):
- 0806: Fire grew overnight and more evacuation orders are coming through. Fire is just over the mountain and causing smoke to come over the ridge into Mammoth Lakes. This business has set up a donation drive and states they will match the donation amount. To match the donation efforts we will be donating all of our profits over the weekend to the Oak Fire relief fund. We pride ourselves in serving the community and this includes our neighbors. (Donation receipts available upon transactions) The Stellar Brew and Natural Cafe is located at 3280 Main Street, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546.
- 1159: The fire is exploding on that right flank near Jerseydale. Resources are being pulled out due to safety. Between 5 am and now, the fire grew to 2,545 acres in what is usually the calmest time for wildfires. (News Media posting board)
- 1415: The right flank of the Darrah / Jerseydale edge of the fire is absolutely blowing up. (Fire watcher/Emergency management).
- 1416: The 1st significant pyrocumulus weather of the day. (Fire news photographer/journalist.)
(c) 2022 NW Fire Blog