Around 1354 PDT, a M8.3 Earthquake shook Chile with enough force that emergency tsunami warnings began being sounded to neighboring Countries, including the United States coastal communities.
The earthquake is said to be 8 miles deep and located at coordinates 31.6 South, 71.8 West along the Coast near Central Chile.
Alert to West Coasts @ 1601PDT 9/16/15
Public Tsunami Info Statement #1 broadcasted by the NWS located in Palmer AK for AK/ BC/ WA /OR and CA.
- M7.9 earthquake
- Occurred 1554 PDT or 3:54pm West Coast Time
- Coordinates: 31.6 S, 71.9 W
- Depth: 21 miles
- Location: Coast near Central Chile
States per their evaluation, these events can occur:
- Earthquakes of this size can produce large tsunamis outside of the source area.
- Can be dangerous to coastal areas.
- The U.S. National Tsunami Center is evaluating the event.
- The earthquake can produce large Tsunamis causing major damage to areas in the source location.
Reports from Hawaii – 9/16/15 @ 1924 Hours
The NWS from Ewa, Hawaii sends out an alert showing the earthquake has been upgraded to a M8.3
Activity Happening on Coastal areas in CALI – 9/16/15 @ 2245 Hours
An Alert was just broadcasted by Social Media sources that the LAFD will be in Unified Command at 0330 Hours beginning on 9/17/15 with Law Enforcement partners. Command Post will be at Angels Gate Park in San Pedro. This is due to the Tsunami Advisory.
Update your information on the American Red Cross website under “Safe and Well” letting your friends and family know you are safe. This is a great site especially now that a major disaster has occurred. Check out the site at https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/.
SOCIAL MEDIA REPORTS
- California Closures: All marinas, beaches and harbors will close at 0400 hours PDT on Thursday, 9/17/15.
- President Bachelet: “call people evacuated to stay in higher areas.”
- Australian Schools: Seismic waves from Chile earthquake recorded on seismometers in schools.
- Alerts: Tsunami activity expected to arrive in the LA area at 447am tomorrow. Stay off the beach and out of the water.
- More CA Alerts/Warnings: National Tsunami Warning Center issues Tsunami Advisory effective now San Onofre-Southeast of LA County-Ragged PtSan Luis Obispo
- New Zealand on Alert: Likely to only be a marine threat to the known hot-spot areas of NZ – Chatham Islands, East Cape, Coromandel, and Banks Peninsula.
- Earthquake History: Nepal’s April 25 quake was a 7.8, so this is likely to be the biggest earthquake on the planet so far this year.
- Chileans feel Aftershocks: Two significant aftershocks already reported from
#chilequake. 6.2M and 6.4M. Larger of two closer to land.
- Observations: Perspective: That’s as large as the 1906 earthquake that decimated San Francisco.
- Injuries: Chilean Interior minister Burgos asks people to remain calm and confirms no injuries have been reported as of yet.
- Other areas Alerted: Warnings for Hawaii and Peru … Quake felt in
#BuenosAires … #ChileQuake
MORE INFO TO BE POSTED
More info will be posted as it comes to light. We are thinking of those impacted in Chile and those who have loved ones there.
FOR YOUR SAFETY
Please beware of Coastal changes on the BC, WA, OR, CA Coasts due to a potential threat of large waves, sneeker waves and tsunamis. Please report anything you may see to authorities so they can track them and get necessary warnings out to additional agencies or to the general Public.
If they tell you, that you need to evacuate an area – please don’t question as to why or fight with them to stay. They are doing their jobs and working to protect you and your family.
Thank you for reading our blog and following along with this Quake Disaster in Chile.
[c] 2015 The NW Fire Blog