UPDATE 3 – SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 10th
- Started on Friday, November 9th at 1430 hours PST
- Reported as a brush fire
- Located North of Malibu and South of Simi Valley, about 4 miles NE of Oak Park
- Unified Command: CAL FIRE – San Luis Obispo, Ventura County FD & SO, LA City FD & PD and LA County FD &PD.
- 83,275 acres with 5% containment status
- Fire fuels are brush, chaparral and tall grass
- 177 structures destroyed
- 2 structures damaged
- 57,000 structures under direct threat
- Estimated containment on November 15th
- 2 deaths
- Fire behavior is extreme with wind-driven runs.
VENTURA COUNTY, Calif. – A brush fire broke out in the 25000 block of WOOLSEY Canyon Road and in the area of E Street and Alfa Road. This is in northwest San Fernando Valley between the City of Los Angeles, Chatsworth and Simi Valley in both Los Angeles and Ventura Counties.
Two wildfires: WOOLSEY FIRE and the HILL FIRE are burning about five miles apart from each other. NOTE: We are covering these separately but you may find some combined references due to the sources.
Resources deployed from locally and around the country helping local Fire and Law Enforcement Agencies:
LOCAL FIRE RESOURCES
This is as of 2130 hours PST, released by CAL FIRE.
- 418 Fire engines
- 40 Water tenders
- Unknown number of air tankers from throughout the State
- 63 Hand crews
- 56 dozers
- 19 helicopters
- 3,242 personnel
- As of 0320 PST, aerial operations with helicopters continued. Fire Ops reported they are rotating crews and aircraft to maintain coverage over the fire. Their maintenance team is doing a fabulous job. They are all in this together.
VENTURA COUNTY FD
- Will host a presser on Sunday at 0930 hours PST at Conejo Creek Park South in Thousand Oaks, California.
VENTURA COUNTY SO
- Missing Person Search – Deputies are looking for 78-year old Thousand Oaks / Camarillo Springs resident, Maryanne Needham. She was last seen on Thursday on the Hill Fire by her son around 1930 hours driving in the area of Hillcrest Drive and Duesenberg Drive in Thousand Oaks. She drives a maroon 2002 Honda CRV 4YFX198/CA license plate. If you have any information, please contact the Ventura County Sheriff Dispatch line at 805-654-9511.
LOS ANGELES COUNTY FD
- Fire Image. Photo Credit: LACoFD, Douglas Morrison)
LOS ANGELES CITY PD
- Evacuation of Horses – Officers jumped into action saving these horses. Photo Credit: LAPD HQ
WASHINGTON FIRE RESOURCES
The following equipment and resources have been deployed from Washington State:
- 8 strike teams
- 93 personnel
- 2 brush trucks
- 2 command vehicles
- 24 fire engines of various types
- Will be staffing up for all three wildfires – WOOLSEY, HILL and CAMP FIRES
- Agencies responding: Lacey FD, Seattle FD, Valley RFA, Snoqualmie FD, Benton County, Thurston County Fire District 17, Lewis County Fire District 5, McLane FD, Thurston County Fire District 9, West Thurston Fire, Walla Walla County Fire District 4, College Place, Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue, South Kitsap Fire & Rescue, East Pierce Fire & Rescue, Seattle FD, Woodinville Fire & Rescue, Shoreline FD, King County Fire District 27, Skyway FD, East Jefferson Fire & Rescue and Duvall FD. (Source: WA EMD)
CENTRAL REGION STRIKE TEAM
MCLANE / BLACK LAKE FIRE DEPARTMENT
- “Crews left this morning to head to California and are part of upwards of 8 Strike Teams to help with devastating fire. 40 engines and 150 fire personnel are on their way.
- The Team has had a full day of travel. Crews will spend the night in Stockton, CA then heading out early Sunday to make the last leg of the journey to the staging area.” – MBLFD Firefighters @MBLFDFFS (Twitter)
SE REGION STRIKE TEAM (WA)
Photo Credits: Lacey FD, Skyway FD, Snoqualime FD. Courtesy: WA EMD.
CHELAN COUNTY FIRE DISTRICT 1 – Leader
- Walla Walla Fire District 4
- Walla Walla Fire District 8
- College Place Fire
- Benton County Fire District 1
- Stevens County Fire District 1
SEATTLE FIRE STRIKE TEAM
Firefighters from the Seattle Fire Department group up as part of a Washington Strike Team deploying to help with California Wildfires. Photo Credit: Seattle FD.
EASTSIDE FIRE & RESCUE STRIKE TEAM
- Team Leader is EF&R BC Dave McDaniel
- 9 Firefighters from EF&R (including Brush Truck 71)
- Shoreline FD
- Snoqualmie FD
Fire crews from Eastside Fire & Rescue (Credit: Seattle Fire Department)
“Mutual aid resources will operate on a 24-hour on, 24-hour off schedule and start work on Monday, November 12th, once they arrive at the final location. Their assignments will vary which will be dependent on current needs. It is possibly they may be needed to backfill fire stations to respond to everyday emergencies or out fighting fires.
Their deployment may up to two weeks.” says Seattle Fire Chief Harold Scoggins.
Additional resources assisting on this major event are called Incident Cooperators. The following are partnering with local fire departments and Law Enforcement Agencies:
- Southern California Edison
- Southern California Gas Company
- CA Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR)
- CA Department of Fish & Game
- CA Highway Patrol
- Public Health Department
- National Park Service (NPS)
- Ventura County Animal Control
- Los Angeles County Animal Control
- Office of Emergency Management (OEM)
- American Red Cross (ARC)
For all information related to evacuations, closures and shelters, visitwww.VCEmergency.com or call (805) 465-6650. To register for VC Alert for urgent notifications, visit VCAlert.org. Residents in the area should be prepared to evacuate. For disaster preparedness plans, visitwww.VCReadySetGo.org. (Source: LA County FD PIO)
- Bell Canyon – Entire community
- Oak Park – Entire community
- Thousand Oaks – T.O. Blvd north to Sunset Hills… Oak Park west to Hwy 23… West of Hwy 23 to south of East of Olsen Road..North of Pederson Rd… South of Bard Lake… East of Hwy 23….South of Hwy 101… east of Reino Road… North of Potrero Raod… East to the Los Angeles & Ventura County line…Wood Ranch and Long Canyon
- Simi Valley – Bridal Path
Evacuation Alerts! – www.cvemergency.com and sign-up for alert VCAlert by texting VCAlert to 313131. (Source: VCFD PIO)
EVACUATION SHELTERS – People
Fire and Law Enforcement remind you to do the following when evacuating: “Prepare a bag containing your ID, Meds, Important docs, emergency supplies & a change of clothes.” (Source: LA County Sheriff’s Office)
St. Mary Magdalen Church – 25 Las Posas Rd, Camarillo, CA
Camarillo Community Center – 1605 East Burnley Street, Camarillo, CA. (Source: American Red Cross).
Borhard Community Center – 190 Reino Road, Newbury Park, CA. (Source: American Red Cross)
Goeble Senior Adult Center – FULL! – 1385 East Janss Road, Thousand Oaks, CA 91362.
Thousand Oaks Teen Center – FULL! – 1375 East Janss Road, Thousand Oaks, CA 91362.
Thousand Oaks Community Center – CLOSED! – 2525 North Moorpark Road, Thousand Oaks CA 91360.
Rancho Santa Susana Rec Center – 5005 Unit C Los Angeles Avenue, Simi Valley, CA. No animals accepted.
Taft Charter – FULL! – 5461 Winnetka Ave, Woodland Hills, CA. (Source: Red Cross)
Pierce College (California) – 6201 Winnetka Ave, Woodland Hills, CA 91371 (Entrance off Desoto Ave).
EVACUATION SHELTERS – Animal
Evacuation Shelter – Both Small, Large Animals
DACC providing shelter for animals for both HILL and WOOLSEY FIRES.
- Pierce College – 7100 El Rancho Drive, Woodland Hills, CA 91367. Entrance is off of De Soto. 2)
- Los Angeles County Animal Services – FULL!
Info –> http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/admin8327985/cdf/images/incidentfile2282_4165.pdf
- Borchard Park –190 N. Reino Road, Newbury Park, CA 91320. (Next to Newbury Park High School). (Source: DACC)
- Ventura County Animal Services – 805-388-4258. 600 Aviation Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010
- Simi Valley Animal Shelter – 670 West Los Angeles Avenue, Simi Valley, CA. 805-388-4341
Info –> http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/admin8327985/cdf/images/incidentfile2282_4165.pdf
- Castle Rock Farms in Moorpark are offering room for horses impacted by both the WOOLSEY and HILL FIRES. They can be reached at 805-552-0201. (Source: Castle Rock Farms)
- Both directions at Valley Circle to Reyes Adobe
- Off ramp at Camarillo Springs
- Southbound (Pacific Coast Hwy or PCH) closed
Bell Canyon Road
- Closed at Valley Circle Boulevard
- At Reino Road
- Closed between Rancho Dos Vientos and South Lewis Road
- Between Westlake Boulevard and Lindero Canyon Road
- At Falling Star Avenue
- At Sapra Street
We will be updating on this site as information is received. We would love if you would follow us on our Twitter page @nwfireblog for additional updates.
We are thinking of those in California as they now face a different threat of wildfires after being impacted by the Thousand Oaks shooting. Please keep all in your thoughts and prayers. We thank you for reading and following our Blog. – Ed.
(c) 2018 NW FIRE BLOG