ARCHIE CREEK FIRE
SIT REP 5 | SEPTEMBER 18, 2020
INCIDENT SUMMARY. The ARCHIE CREEK FIRE is burning 20 miles east of Glide and just east of Roseburg in the north Umpqua drainage on the west slope of the Cascades. This is in Douglas County.
CAUSE. The fire broke out and quickly spread to state, private and federal lands in the State of Oregon on September 8, 2020 from an unknown cause. It is currently under investigation.
CURRENT STATUS. The fire has burned 130,429 acres, while crews have reached a 25% containment status.
FIRE BEHAVIOR. Fire behavior is moderate with group torching, short-range spotting and flanking.
OPERATIONS. About 1,094 personnel along with 19 crews, 39 engines and 4 helicopters are assigned to this incident.
DAMAGE ASSESSMENTS. There are 687 homes threatened along 7 other structures damaged. 111 homes and other structures have been destroyed.
RESOURCES. The following are resources available in the area:
Evacuation Shelter –> Douglas Co Sheriff Office http://www.dcso.com/evacuations
Air Quality –> OR DOEQ http://www.oregon.gov
Road Closures –> http://www.tripcheck.com
Umpqua NF Closures –> https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/umpqua/alerts-notices
COMMUNITY HELP. There are many ways you can help an impacted community.
Wildland Firefighter Foundation – Helping wildland firefighters and their families, including support for fallen firefighter’s families.
Glide Helping Hands – Food and Clothing Distribution Center
- Call 541.733.6860.
- Leave message on how you wish to help them.
Greater Douglas United Way – Human Services Organization
- Accepting monetary donations
Douglas Timber Operators / Umpqua Fisheries Enhancement Derby
- Provides direct relief to communities and individuals
- Provides financial assistance for food and supplies, etc.
- Specifically for those impacted by the Archie Creek Fire
Saving Grace – Human Services organization
- Monetary Donations go to http://www.savinggrace.info, click Donate
- Volunteering. Call 541-672-3907 for more info. Show up at 9am Monday thru Saturday 9am.
- Visit their website: http://www.savinggrace.info
Red Cross – National/International Disaster Relief Organization
- Staged at the Douglas County Fairgrounds
- Check for needs
(c) 2020 NW Fire Blog – Updated 9/18/2020 2245 PT