Updated 5/12/2016 2130 PDT
8-10 fires were strung along several miles from Hoyt Lakes to W of Skibo Road (FS Rd 120) with some speculating that a train had passed through the area just before the fires broke out. However, our sources say that US Forest Law Enforcement Officers are currently investigating for the exact cause.
As of this post, Law Enforcement agencies are still investigating and searching for the original cause of this fire.
Date / Time:
- 2 miles E of Hoyt Lakes, MN
- N of St Louis County Hwy 110 aka Forest Highway
- Under investigation
- Tall grass
- Light logging slash
FIRE ACTIVITIES – STATUS
The following events have occurred on this fire.
- Fire Started
- Minimal fire growth
- Command turned over to MNICS IMT2 Team B.
- Improved mapping.
- Focusing fire suppression efforts on areas SW of Allen Junction and near town of Skibo
- Crews will strengthen fire lines, check hotspots and provide structure protection
- Air and ground supports units will be used
- Weather consists of critically low humidity in the low 20’s but sunny with temps in the high 60’s. Winds forecast with light winds from NW 4-7 mph with gusts up to 12 mph.
- 12% containment status.
- Fire behavior is very calm.
- Weather has improved: Winds died down. Higher humidity.
- Structure protection continues.
- Fire is strung out with segments stretching nearly 8 miles E of Hoyt Lake to West of Skibo Road. (Forest Service Rd 120)
- Previous closures have now been listed.
- 84% containment status.
- Still holding @ 973 acres.
- 93% containment status reached.
- 2 Type 1 engines and 2 Helicopters.
- Previous area closures lifted.
- 48 personnel assigned.
- Chance of frost tonight and tomorrow evening.
- IC: MNICS Team B, Greg Peterson.
- Last report.
(c) 2016 The #NWFireBlog