EAGLES NEST, New Mex. – A wildfire that started on Thursday, May 31, 2018, around 1410 hours MDT is burning near Ute Park.
A fire was reportedly burning on the Philmont Scout Ranch property near Ute Park on May 31, 2018 around 1410 hours MDT.
The fire is burning on private land off of (burning on both sides of) Highway 64 and 1 mile east of in Ute Park, as well as 15 miles south of Eagle Nest, New Mexico (northeast portion of) in the New Mexico Forestry in the Cimarron District area.
It is unknown if this was where the ignition point or the original location of the fire was.
The cause is unknown and under investigation.
Another shift in staffing and equipment has been implemented with the following:
- 511 personnel
- 10 crews
- 32 engines
- 7 helicopters
- 8 dozers
SWCC, Colfax County, NM Fire Info, Angel FD, NM Environmental Public Health Tracking – EPHT, Ute Park Fire, NM DOT, Angel Fire Resort, Philmont Scout Ranch (Boy Scouts of America), Red Cross, Colfax County EM and Kit Carson Electric Cooperative Inc., NM State Forestry, Cimarron District, Sandoval County Fire, FEMA, Joseph Elfelt (Mapping Support), Albuquerque Interagency Dispatch Center and Colfax County Government.
- Active fire behavior with uphill runs, torching, short-range spotting
- 14 structures have been lost
- $1.5 Million cost-to-date
- Mandatory evacuation orders were lifted for Ute Park
- Fire has not moved further north
- The fire can be seen usually from the north at the summit from the Angel Fire Resort but not today due to rain
- 31,930 acres of grass, pinyon juniper and mixed conifer have been destroyed
- 0% containment
- Structure protection (dozer line) around Ute Park
- Firefighters continue to reduce fuels around structures
- Firefighters are also setting up sprinkler systems
- Burning operations continue to help protect Cimarron (eastern/souther flanks)
- Working to securing control lines, conducting mop-up operations
- Fire has been slowed by the burn scar of the 2002 Ponil Fire (north flank)
- Severe thunderstorms are expected through the area on Sunday
- Up to 1″ of rain and 30 mph winds from the south are expected around noon MDT
- Flash flooding is imminent
- Rain may help on a temporary basis but fire conditions are expected to return
- Firefighters are ready to deploy for any new starts from lightning occur
- US 64 closed from eastbound and westbound from mile marker 285 before Cimarron to mile marker 344 at Eagle Nest
- NM 204 is closed northbound and southbound from mile marker 0 to mile marker 10
- NM 21 is closed eastbound and westbound from mile marker 0 at Cimarron to mile marker 34 at Philmont
- NM 58 is closed eastbound and westbound from mile marker 0 at Cimarron to mile marker 18
- Cimarron State Park is closed
- Eagle Nest Lake State Park is open but Lake is closed for firefighting helicopters drawing water as a resource
Red Cross Shelters:
- Raton Convention Center – 9015 S 3rd Street, Raton. (Located on east side of the fire)
- Eagle Nest Senior Center – 74 N Tomboy Drive, Eagle Nest.
- The Pet Pals Dog Boarding Kennel is offer shelter for anyone involved in the Fire. Info here –> eaglenestdogboarding.com
- Email Alert Notifications – http://state.us5.list-manage1.com/subscribe?u=acd822eb860d4f1f039ccb48f&id=4750f58481
#UteParkFire #UtePark #NMwildfire2018
(c) 2018 NW Fire Blog – Updated 6/3/2018 @ 1030 hours PDT / 1130 hours MDT